Telma Botcherby, a South Florida dog owner was treating her dog with flea and tick spray when she then noticed a live tick on the floor and tried to burn it with a lighter, according to a Broward Sheriff’s Office report. The dog became startled and jumped across where Botcherby was trying to burn the tick. The dog then burst into flames, officials said.
Botcherby screamed for her husband, Jess Olivas, who picked up the dog in his arms and jumped into a swimming pool.
Olivas, of Parkland, was then taken to North Broward Hospital and later transferred to Jackson Memorial as a trauma alert for treatment of his second degree burns. Officials said 18 to 24 percent of Olivas’ body was burned including his right arm, left forearm, chest and face.
While the dog is having trouble sitting down and still shakes at times, vet technician Jamie Duffey said she will pull through.